Friends, this post was first published in May of 2020.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
6 large ripe Nísperos, peeled with seeds removed
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup orange juice
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 cup vinegar
1 tablespoon grape-seed oil
2 skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Place Nísperos into a saucepan and stir in water, orange juice, and brown sugar until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a boil
- Stir in ground ginger, cinnamon, lemon pepper, and smoked paprika
- Reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes
- Stir occasionally to break up the Nísperos.
- When the sauce is thick, stir in vinegar and simmer 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Heat grape-seed oil in a skillet over medium heat and pan-fry chicken breasts until golden brown and cooked through (about 5 to 8 minutes per side)
- Remove chicken breasts and cut into bite-size pieces
- Return chicken to skillet,
- Stir in 1/4 the Níspero sauce
Serve with remaining Níspero sauce on the side.
Click here to find out more about our food campaign!
Click here to purchase our book La Quinta Níspero!
Click here for more great Ecuadorian recipes!
With love, The Downing Family